If you need to board your dog for the holidays, now is the time to start looking. Before you choose a boarding facility, however, make sure to do your research. Here’s 5 questions to get you started.
- Is it clean? Go on a tour of the place. While you’re walking around pay attention to its smell and the cleanliness of the kennel areas. You can even ask the employees about their cleaning schedules. Keep in mind that as a place that houses lots of pups, it’s nearly impossible for it to be spotless at all times. If it seems clean overall, but one kennel has a mess in it, don’t necessarily write it off.
- How are the dogs acting? Though the dogs may get excited as you come through for a tour, try to look for body language that may show nervousness or fear. These include pacing, panting, and licking lips. If, on the other hand, they seem to be happy and relaxed, you can pretty safely assume that they’re treated well.
- Is there space for them to be active? Especially if your dog is full of energy, make sure that the dogs have access to some form of exercise, whether it’s a large indoor run, an outdoor area to play in, or group play time.
- Is it interactive? Some boarding facilities allow dogs to interact with each other and make friends. If your dog is social, this could make his time a lot more enjoyable. On the other hand, if your dog dislikes other dogs, you may want to avoid these boarding facilities.
- Are there good reviews? Before you make your decision, check out reviews on Yelp, GooglePlus, and other sites where you can hear about the experiences of others. Better yet, if you know someone who boards their dog there, ask them what they like about it.
We hope that these tips will help you find a happy home for your dog during the holidays!